MUSIC EDUCATION IN SF PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Partnering with Public Schools Since 1988
Music and Mentors Program
ADVENTURES IN MUSIC PROGRAM (AIM)
The Adventures in Music (AIM) Program includes in-school performances, a private concert by the San Francisco Symphony at Davies Symphony Hall, and a specially designed curriculum.
- Each student experiences a sequence of in-school performances by professional ensembles selected and trained by the San Francisco Symphony. Ensemble presentations are developed to be interdisciplinary, and musicians are trained to be effective in educational settings.
- Meet our AIM Ensembles!
PRIVATE CONCERT BY THE SF SYMPHONY
- This special concert is designed to build upon students’ in-school AIM experiences. Music and learning concepts from the concert are interwoven throughout the program.
CURRICULUM MATERIALS AND MORE
- Specially designed curriculum: Each teacher receives the AIM curriculum, which is tied to national, state, and local academic standards. The curriculum is implemented by the generalist classroom teacher, while specific music concepts are taught by the visiting ensembles of musicians. The curriculum is designed to support music learning in the everyday classroom.
- A workbook journal for each student: Each student receives a workbook journal, which is tied to the ensemble performances, curriculum, and classroom materials provided by AIM.
- Classroom materials for teachers and students: Materials and resources are provided to assist teachers in implementing AIM in the classroom. These materials may include books, playlists, instruments, and maps to deepen student learning.
- Ongoing evaluation and assessment: AIM is universally loved by teachers and principals! Because AIM is customized to the needs of San Francisco’s public elementary schools, ongoing feedback from teachers and principals is essential in ensuring AIM’s excellence in enhancing student learning.
MORE ABOUT AIM
- The San Francisco Symphony established the Adventures in Music Program in 1988 in partnership with the San Francisco Unified School District.
- AIM reaches every single student in grades 1–5 in every San Francisco public elementary school, thus serving every neighborhood and touching a broad economic and cultural cross-section of the population.
- AIM is divided into two developmentally age-appropriate levels: AIM I is for children in grades 3, 4, and 5; and AIM II is for children in grades 1 and 2.
- AIM serves more than 20,000 school children each year.
MUSIC AND MENTORS PROGRAM
The Symphony’s Music and Mentors program is now in its 19th season of providing vital services to orchestras, bands, and world music instrumental programs in SFUSD middle schools and high schools. A core function of Music and Mentors is weekly coaching for student musicians enrolled in these programs, based on requests from the music teacher at each school site. This year, 20 Music and Mentors Teaching Artists (Mentors) are providing coaching and instructional support to 30 instrumental programs at 22 SFUSD schools. The Mentors are a dedicated cadre of professional musicians who specialize in working with beginning and intermediate student musicians in public school settings.
AN OUTGROWTH OF THE IMPACT OF AIM
An outgrowth of the impact of AIM and the resulting demand in music participation, the Symphony’s Music and Mentors program provides assistance to every instrumental music program in San Francisco’s public middle schools and high schools, grades 6–12. Music and Mentors provides coaching and mentoring by professional musicians, critical supplies and instrument repairs, and opportunities to attend Symphony open rehearsals and concerts at Davies Symphony Hall, all free of charge to students and schools.
Through the Music and Mentors program, together with AIM (which serves grades 1–5), the Symphony provides music education experiences to San Francisco’s public school students throughout their elementary and secondary years, grades 1–12.
- Professional Coaching: Professional musicians visit schools weekly throughout the year to provide specialized instruction for instrumentalists. Teaching artists specialize in string, woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments.
- Instrument and Musical Supplies: Music and Mentors provides much needed items such as bows, shoulder rests, reeds, mouthpieces, music stands, and sheet music. It also assists with repairs to damaged instruments and with the purchase of new instruments.
- Symphony Tickets: Tickets to select San Francisco Symphony concerts, SFS Youth Orchestra concerts, and open rehearsals are provided free of charge.
Flute & Piccolo
Flute & Oboe
Guitar, Trumpet, Cornet, Ukulele
Trombone & Vocals